Thursday, February 01, 2007

New Vistas

Vista is out. I actually have a copy as its free to download for all students and staff in the CS department who join Academic Alliance (and I imagine the entire University but don't quote me on that), but I've yet to install it for fear that it will replace my unlicensed and unkeyed whiny Windows XP with an OS that is fully legit but no longer speaks to my wireless adaptor, USB devices, soundcard or graphics card. Or more worryingly that it will work perfectly at an initial glance but some insidious problems will bubble to the surface.

Maybe when the Family edition comes out on Academic Alliance I'll dabble. I've played around and like what I saw, though there seems little tangible benefit in upgrading other than a pretty desktop.

So for now my expert? advice is to follow this guy:-

4 comments:

Katie said...

Though when I get a new laptop I'll be able to run both Windows and OSX (since it will be an Apple afterall :) ), I'm so scared to put Vista on there. I hate XP with a passion, and have found that the only Windows OS that I can tolerate was 2000 Pro--no, they aren't the same thank you very much and it's more than just the GUI--but I'm so scared that Vista will be worse. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't, eh?

Jamalen of Zetland said...

You could always send your Vista up to 'ol Jamalen to test for you :)

As he doesn't have the cash to pay to test it himself :P

'ol buddy 'ol pal...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey Stuart!

I tried Vista a few months back and it ran like a dog! I'm much happier running games in XP and everything else in Ubuntu!

Until shiny new games such as Crysis are available (and, indeed, I have a shiny enough graphics card to play them) I'll hold off...