Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My Book Problem

I realised on Friday after I made a mad-dash to the second hand book stores at lunch time and bought some George R.R. Martin books for £1.50 each that I have a problem. I keep buying 2nd hand books. Currently my reading list is as follows:-


  • The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (three volumes)

  • The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (three volumes)

  • A Song of Fire and Ice: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (thousands of people have recommended this one to me, though the 900 page count is a little off-putting to be honest)

  • A Song of Fire and Ice: A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin (I think it's thicker than it's predecessor)

  • Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (like all of it, the 5 volumes plus some additional material thrown in)

  • Michael Moorcock's Elric

  • Star Trek: The Return (of Shatner) and the one after that

  • The Third Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (four volumes, not three as I reported originally, by the time I finish the 1st and 2nd chronicles)

  • Dune and Dune Messiah (been meaning to read these for a while)

  • Earthsea Quartet Books 3 and 4 (to give you some idea of my pace I read books 1 & 2 on the train when I had my interview at Leicester)



I should point out this only includes the books I have brought down to Leicester - there are all-too numerous musty tomes sitting on my massive bookshelf back in Dundee. However I did read Lord of the Rings in its entirety before I left for the Madlands.

The sad fact is I am a slow reader. On a good day I read about 50 pages per hour - as I insist on digesting every word and rereading everything until the imagery is crystal clear in my head. To wit, so far I am 175 pages into the first book of the first Chronicle of Thomas Covenant. I do really recommend it - particularly if you like Tolkien, which I do. It's really good but I've been reading it for over a month on and off (admittedly I was off for 3 weeks as I was too busy watching TV)! After sitting in front of a monitor the last thing I seem to want to do is wear my eyes out further and read a good book.

I used to read a lot on the bus to work, but then I started driving. I learned very quickly that other drivers on the road consider it to be a little inconsiderate if you read while driving, plus turning the pages is a little difficult. I tried audiobooks on my walkman, but unfortunately I'm a fidget and constantly lose the place when I'm out for a walk. I think I-Pods are more geared towards e-books anyroads.

If I ever read all of the above (I am somewhat dubious I ever will) I also have my eyes on a couple of other titles. There's a lovely black embossed hardback containing all Robert E. Howard's stories in Waterstones these days, and since books seem to have the sole purpose of sitting on my bookshelf I might as well buy this shiny edition. Also a certain overgrown hobbit fellow might be interested in Shadows over Baker's Street - Sherlock Holmes meets the Cthulhu mythos. Bound to be worth a look.

No comments: