Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A Study in Emerald

Watching TV's been difficult for a while, so I've been listening to a lot of audio drama. I listened recently to a Neil Gaiman short story called "A Study In Emerald". It's part of an anthology of HP Lovecraft meets Sherlock Holmes stories called "Shadows over Baker Street", a book I intend on buying at some point when I start earning money for unnecessary things like books, food and petrol.

Anyroads Neil Gaman made the short story available on his website here. It parallels the original Sherlock Holmes story, A Study in Scarlet, where Holmes meets Watson. Obviously Study in Emerald is somewhat different, but if you don't understand it (and you need to be up on your Holmes-mythos more than your Cthulhu) the Wikipedia page explains everything here.

By the way, does anyone think Neil Gaiman looks like David Schwimmer (Ross from Friends). I just don't see it, but my esteemed colleague, Dr. Steve thinks otherwise... you decide...



9 comments:

Tom said...

Yeah man, they look pretty much identical. Surprised you can't see it.

Dick said...

OMG! It's like they're twins!

harry said...

Separated at birth! Uncanny!

Joe Bloggs said...

Stuart - you must be blind if you can't see the similarities.

Jimmy Random said...

Wow - your chum Steve really has a good eye for spotting obvious likenesses. He sounds like a fab guy.

Clive Incognito said...

Ross from Friends is Neil Gaiman - I totally see it now! Yay for steve!

Joe Public said...

Can't believe you can't see how eerily similar they look. I am on the side of your friend Steve on this one.

Joey Joe-Joe Junior Shabadoo said...

Well I was just passing by this blog and noticed the pictures of Gaiman and Schwimmer and feel compelled to agree with your mate Steve - they certainly do look alike. Anyone who would say there was no likeness is palpably wrong.

steve said...

Hooray for steve. I think you should give him £5.