Monday, December 26, 2005

Dr Stu on Dr Who

The Xmas special and new doctor were quite good - though I need to wait for a non Russell Davies episode to make up my mind about the latter fully. Russell's writing meant there were cringe-worthy minutes mixed with moments of pure genius. The sword fight was good, though maybe it was me but I felt it was obvious the BBC had reduced the budget for the series... dunno why I thought that. I should watch it again, and I couldn't play the interactivy thingy as my funky TV is in Leicester and I'm not.

The first bit with the Santas and Xmas tree felt tacked on just to make it an Xmas special. I began to wonder if there was any point in Harriet Jones, Prime Minister. And the Doctor slept for about 30 minutes.

Then the Scythorax? went from being actually damn scary (unlike the Slitheen) to silly, to scary, to silly, to er... not really much of anything. And once again they mentioned those gawd-awful Slitheens in one of the more cringe-worthy bits of the episodes.

Torchwood clearly has potential though.

But... CAN WE PLEASE LEAVE THAT DAMN LONDON COUNCIL ESTATE NEXT YEAR? I'm starting to hope Billy leaves after Season 2 so we can actually get some alien worlds and less Chav Culture/Eastenders.

And I thought the Doctor doesn't do domestic.

2 comments:

Doctor Sordid said...

I will require a further viewing before I make up my mind (Firstborn was kind of distracting while I tried to watch it live), but so far, the new Doctor kind of annoys me...

Happy Xmas.

Anonymous said...

I quite like David Tennant. Not sure about his choice of accent though - he sounded a bit like Mr Bean in places.